Lecturer(s): izr. prof. dr. Štefanc Damijan
I. INTRODUCTION TO CURRICULUM STUDIES
1. Basic concepts of curriculum studies. Definitions of curriculum. Areas of research of curriculum studies. Open and closed curriculum, official and hidden curriculum.
2. Relation between Didactics and Curriculum Studies.
3. Linear and cyclic model of curriculum planning.
II. STRATEGIES OF CURRICULUM PLANNING
1. Goal-oriented strategy of curriculum planning: definition and characteristics; critical analysis of theoretical assumptions and practical implications of Bloom’s taxonomy of educational objectives.
2. Content-oriented strategy of curriculum planning. Definiton, characteristics, critics.
3. Process-oriented strategy of curriculum planning. Definiton, characteristics, models. Critics of process-oriented strategy.
4. Analysis of differences and relations between these curriculum planning strategies.
III. LEVELS OF CURRICULUM PLANNING
1. Identification of different levels of curriculum planning. Comparative analysis of different educational systems and levels of education (general compulsory education, secondary education (general, vocational), higher and university education).
2. National level of curriculum planning.
3. Institutional level of curriculum planning.
4. Individual level of curriculum planning.
IV. CURRICULUM EVALUATION
1. Definition of curriculum evaluation. Characteristics and functions, models and forms of evaluation.
2. Interrelatedness of evaluation and strategy of curriculum planning. Curriculum evaluation as part of curriculum planning and implementation.
3. The role of school and teacher in the process of curriculum evaluation. Teacher’s responsibility for achieving educational goals and objectives.
4. Evaluation and quality assurance in education.
V. CURRICULUM REFORM IN SLOVENIA
1. Framework and principles of curriculum reform in Slovenia.
2. Systemic solutions in the area of curriculum planning, implementation and evaluation.
3. International comparisons and knowledge assessment and their influence on national curriculum.